Frankford is a neighborhood in lower Northeast Philadelphia bordered by Frankford Creek to the south, Bridesburg to the east, Wissinoming to the north, and Roosevelt Boulevard to the west. Originally a site of a Native American village, it’s first settlers were Swedes who established a settlement along Frankford Creek about 1660. When William Penn established the Province of Pennsylvania in 1682 he granted 20,000 acres in the area to the Free Society of Traders, a company of Quaker businessmen he founded to invest in the Province.
The founding of Frankford can be traced to the establishment of a Quaker meeting in the area in 1682. Penn’s grant to the Free Society of Traders eventually became Oxford Township (within the County of Philadelphia) and it was within Oxford Township that the village of Frankford was located. In 1800 the village was incorporated into the Borough of Frankford. The Borough of Frankford was in existence until the 1854 city/county consolidation, at which time all local governments within the county of Philadelphia were absorbed into the City of Philadelphia. Since 1854 Frankford has been a neighborhood of Philadelphia.